Friday , December 14 2018
Home / Know Your Garden / Gardening tools and equipment / Planting and Sowing Tools

We are often using general garden tools or household items for planting and sowing but specialized tools do make some tedious and repetitive jobs simpler and quicker. If you are only doing these operations for fun and the volume of work is not too big you can still use a stick or pencil instead of a dibber to make a planting hole.

Planting and Sowing Tools

Here are some planting and sowing tools that you might want to have in order to simplify your jobs. There are for main types of seed sowers and planters: shakers, plungers, wheeled sowers and seed-tray sowers. They are all used to facilitate accurate and even sowing of seeds. For planting bulbs you will need a bulb planter.

Shakers are hand-held devices that may be used for sowing seeds in prepared drills. Skill is required to ensure even seed distribution. Plungers insert each seed individually to a predetermined depth. Wheeled seed sowers are good for distributing seeds evenly. With a long handle, they can be worked from a standing position. Seed-tray sowers are thin, plastic or wooden boards with moulded protrusion on one side. When pressed onto the seed compost they firm the surface and make evenly spaced holes for sowing seeds.

Bulb planters are useful for planting a number of bulbs individually. For planting groups of small bulbs it is better to use a trowel or hand fork. A bulb planter is usually pushed into the soil with your foot. It removes a plug of soil or turf which is then replaced on the top of the bulb that is placed in the planting hole. The models with a claw-like action release the plug by pressure on the handle.

Other tools that will help you with planting are the dibbers and widgers. A dibber is a pencil-shaped tool used for making planting holes. For transplanting seedlings or insert cutting you will use a small dibber and for transplanting vegetables like leeks, that require a wide hole to allow space for growth, or for planting through a plastic mulch you will use a large dibber. A widger is like a narrow spatula used for lifting seedlings and rooted cuttings with the minimum of disturbance.

About gardening

Check Also

Ties and Supports

In our garden we usually use ties to secure a climbing, scrambling or fragile plant and we use supports to protect some plants from wind or rain. When using ties we must make sure that the ties are secure without constricting the stem of the plant. There are different types of ties that suit differ plants. For soft-stemmed plants it is best to use a light material such as twine or raffia. Ties must be checked annually.

Leave a Reply